Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gophers vs #8 California

Well, the good thing about this game is the Gophs will still have a winning record heading into the Big Ten schedule next week. I fully expect that record to be 2-1, but what are ya gonna do? This one could get ugly, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cal puts up over 50 for the 3rd week in a row. About the only thing the Gophers have going for them is this is essentially a 9am game for the Golden Bears. Although if I can roll my dead ass out of bed and have an open Natty in my hand by 9am, I'm sure they can wake up and put a hurting on the Gophs that early in the morning.


One other thing, I read somewhere (Star Tribune?) that the new stadium didn't have cash registers at their concession stands for the opener. They apparently used calculators and cash boxes which resulted in unreal lines. I'm assuming they just didn't arrive in time and will be there this weekend, but could you imagine if Skippy rolled through there hungry and put a hurt on that place? It would take a scientist to decipher his bill by hand. Even the Cardin-Hunt arena in beautiful RLF has cash registers, what the fuck? If any of you queers went last weekend or are planning to go Saturday, fill us in please.


UPDATE: Gophers lose by 14, much tighter than I thought it would be, and much tighter than anybody thought it would be after the first 5 minutes of the game. I mentioned to Russel during the game that Callado is the Gophers' Nick Punto, just doesn't seem to belong out there. When you can't tackle and you can't cover anybody, you're basically Skid only shorter. Other than that idiot, they actually looked respectable, especially after getting down by 14 almost instantly. Decker would be a favorite for the Biletnikoff award if Weber wasn't constantly trying to get him murdered on the field . That TD catch today was unreal, and I'm still not sure how he managed to hang on to the ball after the hit. If he stays healthy, which seems almost impossible with the balls he's having to catch, he'll definately be a finalist. Also, Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) was probably the biggest competition for Decker and apparently he broke his collarbone today. Still not saying Decker will win it, but he'll be right up there at the end. And Floyd is a Minnesota boy, so he could still play next week.

5 comments:

  1. I actually had this one pretty much done last night but figured I'd wait to post it until this morning. And for what it's worth, I'm at school every day by 6:30, what a fucking joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you getting that #10 ranking from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad on the ranking, the first headline on their website had them ranked #10, but looking a little closer it was last week's ranking. And since they're #8 in the AP and #7 in the USA Today poll, we'll go with 8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gents-

    I did hear that about the concessions last week. Maturi mentioned that some things would not be there in time, I assume this was one of tehm. I also heard the lines to get in were unreal long. However, it was easy to sneak in booze and people had it in the open. They did 86 some students for puking. I hope to make it to the ass kicking on Sat. I will let you know how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if minnesota's offense can get going in the first half this could be a pretty good game. I don't see an upset, but the gopher's defense should be able to keep this close. On top of the "9am" start, Cal is something like 1-8 in their last 9 road games and have beat up on 2 mediocre teams. It is debatable if the Gophers are more than a mediocre team, but they should be more of a challenge. I think the spread was something like 14, I don't see Cal covering that.

    ReplyDelete